Chocolate Chip Cookies by Oscar


I am making cookies with Mummy. 

I stand at the bench on a chair and I watch her unwrap the butter and put it on a board. She cuts it into squares and puts it into a big silver bowl. I help her pour the sugar on top and then Mummy turns on her noisy mixer.


I help her crack an egg. It is clear and oozy and it gets on my fingers. We shake the sifter so the flour falls through. It looks like snow on small mountains inside the bowl. Mummy stirs it until the snow is all gone, then we pour in the chocolate chips. I eat some.




We roll the cookie mix into balls with our hands. It is soft and squishy. Mummy is fast.
We put the balls in lines on big trays and then Mummy puts them into the oven.



Mummy says I am a good helper and she lets me lick the spoon. This is the best part.







Waiting is hard. I can smell the cookies baking. They smell so yummy. Mummy tells me to play until they are ready. I play with my planes at her feet in the kitchen and I watch the cookies spread out in the oven. When Mummy takes them out, they are shaped like circles and they are very hot. I am not allowed to touch.

Mummy pours milk into my favourite cup and I sit at the bench with her. The cookies are warm. "Mmmm," I say.

When they are cold, I help Mummy put them into the cookie jar, one by one, until it is full to the top.


Oscar's Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 16-20)

125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg at room temp
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
150g roughly chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips (we like a mix of half dark and half milk chocolate)

Preheat oven to 180C.
Line two large cookie trays with baking paper.
Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again until all smooth and creamy.
Add the egg and mix on low until combined.
Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Roll mixture into small balls and place on prepared baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to spread.
Bake for 15-18 mins - less for chewy, more for crunchy cookies.
Leave trays on wire racks until cookies have cooled enough to eat.








Comments

Popular Posts