Traditional Custard Tarts



We are divided in this household. There are the milk drinkers and then there is my texturally sensitive husband who shudders at anything smooth and creamy unless it’s chocolate flavoured or frozen*


This rules out yoghurt, cream, plain milk, any form of panna cotta or crème brulee, and also custard. But, let it be noted, he has no problem with ice cream.




Being a girl who eats pretty much anything, it took me a while to understand his kooky tastebuds. He also doesn’t do bananas. I know! So weird.


When Charlie was away for a few days last week, I made a batch of custard tarts for Nick and I.




I make a lot of friands for cafes, so I usually have an abundance of egg yolks left over and this recipe makes good use of them.


I like the Portugese variety, but I still don’t think you can beat a traditional custard tart with short, biscuity pastry, soft creamy custard and a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.




It made my kitchen smell like a retro cake shop, much like the one Mum used to visit on Saturday mornings to buy us custard tarts for morning tea after netball.


These little tarts are two or three bites worth, made in a 12-hole muffin tin. Feel free to use larger pie tins if you are after a more generous tart.


My one tip is to fill the custard to the brim of each tart shell as it will deflate a little when resting out of the oven.




Enjoy! They are perfect for morning or afternoon tea on these early winter days.


Larissa


*But not yoghurt. Never yoghurt.


***


Traditional Custard Tarts
Makes 12-16


For tart shells:
250g plain flour
50g icing sugar
125g cold butter, cubed
1 egg
Dash of milk


For custard:
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
150ml milk
100ml cream
½ tsp quality vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
60g caster sugar
Ground nutmeg to sprinkle


Method:
Preheat oven to 180C.
Place sifted flour and icing sugar in a food processor.
Add butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Lightly whisk together the egg and milk. Add to the processor and pulse until the mixture just comes together as dough.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and shape it gently into a thick disk (do not knead it).
Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins. 
Roll pastry dough out on a lightly floured surface to even 1.5mm thickness. Use a medium-sized fluted cookie cutter to cut out tart rounds and place into a 12-hole muffin tin.
Blind bake the tart shells using baking paper and baking weights or rice for 10 mins.
While the tarts are in the oven, prepare the custard by lightly beating eggs and egg yolks together, taking care not to produce any air bubbles. Stir in cream, milk, sugar and vanilla.
Leave the mixture to rest so there are no air bubbles.
When the tart shells have been blind baked, remove the baking paper and weights.
Reduce oven temperature to 160C.
Give the custard a gentle stir and then slowly pour it into tart shells, filling to the rim. Sprinkle each with a little nutmeg before very carefully returning to the oven for 20 minutes or until custard is just set.
Allow to cool before removing from trays.  
Eat one warm. You won’t regret it!




Comments

  1. These look delicious! will definitely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these yesterday & let me tell you they didn't last long at all. So yummy & so easy to make. Delish!! Thanks ;) Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! Thanks for letting me know :) They didn't last long around here either!

      Delete
  3. I made this recipe yesterday, but as a large custard tart. OMG amazing...!! Honestly the BEST custard tart I've ever made!! =)I'm eating it right now... The pastry recipe actually allowed me to make a 23cm tart, plus 6-7 small tarts. I had to make about 1 1/2 times the custard though! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only admire your beautiful tarts. By the time I got the pastry into
    the muffin tin it was all over the place. I don't know how you get yours so even?? Cooked like you said, but my pastry was white as snow, not evenly brown like the picture.... Overall they looked pathetic by comparison, but they tasted wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What type of milk and cream are you using? Not sure if you mean full fat milk and single cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used full fat milk and cream in this recipe. I pretty much use full fat all the time in my recipes unless specified.

      Delete
  6. Look great. Can you tell me if the tins need to be greased before putting the pastry in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves custard tarts and I've been looking for a very long time for recipe, made today and it was perfect.... Thank you so much for sharing ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts