The Tea Room, Gunners' Barracks




Officially, Mother's Day is next weekend but I feel like I have been celebrating for a few weeks. 

Before, during and now after the arrival of my precious little Master O, it has felt a bit like a festival of Mother's Day around here - sleep deprivation aside.

As any sensible woman does before having a baby (and definitely before the second one), I crammed in as much indulgent Mummy time as I could, mainly by eating out as much as possible.

My last weekend of independence went like this: Friday afternoon at the hairdresser, Friday night with Mr LP at Pony for our babymoon dinner, Saturday night at Gold Class with Mum and high tea on Sunday with my family ladies at The Tea Room, Gunners' Barracks. Because I needed to get fatter.




High tea by the harbour was my idea of a pared back second time baby shower and it was fabulous. If you're stuck for ideas this Mother's Day, I can't think of a more beautiful way to treat the Mums in your family this weekend, or whenever really.





I booked for The Tea Room a little late and forgot to ask for a balcony table, so we were seated inside the large elegant main room under a couple of gorgeous chandeliers. It's lovely, but it doesn't compare to the views of Sydney Harbour from the balcony tables, so when you're booking it pays to ask for an outside table.




There are a number of afternoon tea options to choose from, including gluten-free and champagne but in honour of my bump we went with traditional. Sparkling next time!

The tea list alone is impressive. I wanted to try about six of them just from the descriptions but I settled on a green tea with traces of kiwi, strawberry and Japanese Sencha called Heaven and Earth. I loved it. If tea isn't your thing, espresso coffee is also available.




Three white-coated waiters brought out the treats on Royal Albert "Country Roses" china. We began with flaky savoury pumpkin quiches and samosas with minted yoghurt.

Our plate of assorted crustless finger sandwiches included a creamy egg and mayonnaise, smoked salmon and a tasty smoked chicken.






Then the scones. Puffed, golden and fluffy inside, they were served with a rich blackberry jam and thick clotted cream. So. Good. And reason enough to go back.




Lastly, we turned our attention to the plate of beautiful patisserie goodies.

Ours had a raspberry macaron, moist and tangy orange and almond cake, a rich sliver of chocolate coffee torte, a light mango cheesecake and a vanilla pannacotta topped with berry jelly.

I gave it my best shot but I couldn't finish it all. I couldn't even will myself to try it all so luckily they packed our leftovers in a takeaway container. So very not posh, but extremely practical for over-stuffed Mummies.

They lasted all of minus five seconds when Mr LP spied them on the kitchen bench!

Happy Mother's Day for this Sunday, however you choose to celebrate. I'm hoping for a tiny sleep-in, a sunny morning and a Mr LP brekkie on the deck with my boys. Perfection!

Larissa x

The Tea Room, Gunners' Barracks
End of Suakin Drive
George's Heights (Mosman)
Ph: 02 8962 5900



Comments

  1. Amazing. This looks very delicious. I have water in my mouth after seeing these recipes.
    Regards,
    Glan Deas
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts