Roadies

I am heading north on the Pacific Highway as I type, humming to my Mum's choice of Bruce Springsteen and loving that these IPad thingys let me blog anywhere, anytime. There's nothing like a bit of Dancing in the Dark on the highway!



We are due to stop soon for a roadie. In pregnant lady speak, that means a coffee and a piece of this muesli slice I baked for the trip.

It's from Donna Hay's latest book, Fresh and Light, which I got for Christmas from Mr LP along with my sexy new IPad.

Donna calls them breakfast bars but I think they're an anytime alternative to commercial muesli bars. They're perfect for morning tea with a creamy latte. Yum.

Donna is going through a bit of a healthy phase in this book and her original recipe uses some ingredients I didn't have at hand like quinoa flakes, sunflower seeds and wheat germ, so I used natural muesli instead and have added a bit more fruit and some coconut.



We have broken our road trip into two, stopping in Port Macquarie for a couple of nights before this second leg to Salt in Kingscliff on the NSW far north coast.

I think this is the best way to tackle a long drive with a toddler.

We do this trip each year and I look forward to it for months. Two weeks of beach, sun, books, well-earned rest and nothing more to do than play with my boy. He is growing up so fast. They're precious, these times.


Larissa x

Muesli Slice
(Recipe adapted from "Breakfast Bars" in Fresh and Light by Donna Hay, 2012)

1 1/2 cups natural muesli - no fruit (I used Macro brand)
1/2 cups flaked almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup plain wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 160C.
Place the muesli and almonds on a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper and bake for 10 mins until light golden. Allow to cool.
Place the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, coconut, raisins, sultanas, cranberries and cinnamon in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the oil, egg and vanilla and stir until smooth.
Add the muesli and almonds and stir to combine.
Spoon mixture into a 20cm x 30cm slice tin lined with non stick baking paper.
Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown. Cool in tin.
Turn out slice onto a chopping board and cut into bars to serve. Makes 12-16 bars.




Comments

Popular Posts